The bicycle mechanic as an occupation is recorded on the South Africa Organising Framework for Occupations (OFO) under the Occupational Code 653401 Bicycle Mechanic (alternative titles and/or specialisations; Bicycle Repairer, Bicycle Technician). There is however no bicycle mechanic qualification registered on the South African National Qualifications Framework (NQF) by which they can be trained.
A project has been initiated by the Torq Zone Academy through the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO) to develop and register a bicycle mechanic qualification on the NQF. However, before this can take place some basic research pertaining to current practices in the cycling maintenance and repair industry needs to be conducted.
This research will aid the respective South African education and training authorities, namely the QCTO, the respective Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA), and the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA), in realising the importance of the development of the national qualification.
The registration of a bicycle mechanic qualification on the NQF will ensure:
- The setting of a national minimum standard for bicycle mechanic training
- The national recognition of bicycle mechanic learner achievements
- Industry access to national skills development processes and mechanisms, such as SETA learnerships and the partial reclaiming of training expenditure by employees.
The Torq Zone Academy has therefore developed a survey to be completed by practicing bicycle mechanics, bicycle shop workshop managers, bicycle shop owners/managers and bicycle/component suppliers with an in-house maintenance and repair capability.
This survey aims to:
- Gather information on the bicycle mechanic occupation in general
- Determine industry training needs
- Build a database of interested parties to assist with the qualification development.
The survey can be accessed at Bicycle Mechanic Survey and will take 6 to 10 minutes to complete. Should anyone have queries pertaining to the survey in general or the intent to develop the qualification please do not hesitate to contact Graeme Stickells at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Torq Zone Academy