South African mountain bikers can look forward to an exciting new three-day stage race in May 2021 on a route that incorporates some of the country’s finest mountain bike trails. Based at Pearl Valley Hotel by Mantis, in Paarl, Western Cape, The Val de Vie Expedition is set to deliver a new dimension to team racing.
If you mention Welvanpas and Banhoek, you immediately grab the attention of committed mountain-bikers throughout South Africa. If you include these two famous trails networks into a three-stage race based at a world-class venue, it adds up to an experience that has been crafted to satisfy the most demanding mountain-biker. That’s exactly what the Val de Vie Mountain-Bike Expedition 3-stage race has done.
No tents at the Val de Vie Expedition! Accommodation is at the Pearl Valley Hotel by Mantis for those that book the accommodation and food package.
Val de Vie Estate, in the beautiful Boland town of Paarl, plays host to the inaugural Val de Vie MTB Expedition on 14-16 May 2021. It’s an extraordinary three stage mountain-bike event that links the sought-after trails in the Paarl-Franschhoek Valley into an epic 172km journey over the some of the best mountain-biking terrain in the country.
The Expedition, designed for two-rider teams, constitutes an incredibly beautiful stage race during Autumn with mild temperatures and before the winter rainy season sets in in the Boland.
The event presents an upmarket, relaxed and dynamic weekend getaway environment in which riders can get to know each other on the bike; and off the bike – at Val de Vie MTB Expedition 5-star Race Village at the luxurious Pearl Valley Hotel by Mantis.
The challenges at the Val de Vie Expedition are varied and include river crossings in the valleys.
Date: 14-16 May 2021
Start/Finish daily: Val de Vie Estate, Paarl
Route: 3 Stages | 172km | 3700m ascent
Stage 1: 20km Time Trail with 300m ascent. Trail inclusions – Drakenstein Mountains | Val de Vie Estate trails.
Stage 2: 75km with 1650m ascent. Trail inclusions – Val de Vie Estate | Hawequas | Wild Boar Trails at Welvanpas | Drakenstein Mountains.
Stage 3: 77km with 1800m ascent. Trail inclusions – Val de Vie Estate| Helshoogte| Banhoek | Boschendal | Plasir de Merle | Idas Valley Dam | Skyfall | Camissa | Klipwerf | Afterburner | Inferno | Sugarbowl | new Plaisir descent.
Enter in teams of two only:
- Entry including 2 nights twin room accommodation at the luxurious Pearl Valley Hotel by Mantis and all meals included (the race village is located at the hotel for all three days): R7800 per rider
- Entry excluding accommodation and meals: R2800 per rider
Custom Val de Vie Expedition rain jacket included with all entries
View the complete event info and enter online here: http://www.cycleevents.co.za/mtb-events/val-de-vie-mtb-expedition-2021/
There is a high volume of stimulating singletrack at the Val de Vie Expedition, including that in the Banhoek Conservancy and at Welvanpask.
ABOUT VAL DE VIE
Val de Vie Estate is a global leader in wellness estates, offering numerous ways to enjoy an active and diverse lifestyle. Paramount to this lifestyle is true peace of mind and Val de Vie Estate residents take great comfort in knowing that unobtrusive, yet very effective security is a top priority.
Val de Vie Estate was ranked the top residential estate in South Africa from 2015-2019 by New World Wealth and the Best Residential Development in South Africa in 2020-2021 at the African Property Awards.
For more information about Val de Vie Estate, go to www.valdevie.co.za
EXCEPTIONAL RIDER HOSPITALITY
- The Val de Vie MTB Expedition spares no effort in our vision to create the Cape Winelands’ signature upmarket 3-stage mountain bike stage race, which has attracted participation from all over South Africa.
- Rider nutrition, water, energy drinks and sumptuous snacks are available at the feed points to spoil and motivate riders during the event.
- Servicing and lube station available halfway on each day.
- After each stage all bikes are washed and lubed and stored in a secure facility overnight.
- For service packages contact Bicycle Garage – 061 524 6086 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- To book massages with EPT Recovery click to –
- 30 minute massage option: http://bit.ly/ValDeVieMTBExpedition2021_30mins
- 60 minute massage option: http://bit.ly/ValDeVieMTBExpedition2021_60mins
Each stage is surrounded by mountains, making the Val de Vie Expedition one of the most scenic stage races in the country.
- A unique feature of the Val de Vie MTB Expedition is its 5-star Race Village at the Pearl Valley Hotel by Mantis, which adds a unique upmarket status to the event.
For more information about the Pearl Valley Hotel by mantis, go to www.pearlvalleyhotel.com
- Registration at the Pearl Valley Hotel by Mantis on Friday morning from 09h00 – 13h30
- Stage 1: Friday (20km TT) start: 14h00.
- Stage 2: Saturday (75km) start: 07h00
- Stage 3: Sunday (77km) start: 07h00
- All stages start and finish at the Pearl Valley Hotel Race Village.
- Prize giving at the Hotel Race Village following the final stage at 12h00.
COVID-19 REFUND POLICY
If the current Covid 19 situation doesn’t allow for presentation, the event date will shift to November. Riders will have the option of keeping their entry for the new date or getting a refund.
ENQUIRIES: Email DeVilliersCycling@mweb.co.za
Paid partnership with Val de Vie Expedition