15 April 2014 – Afriski Ski and Mountain Resort in Lesotho is ready for round two of the 2014 Southern African Mountain Bike Cup Series, which takes place on 19 and 20 April.
Online entries close at midnight tonight, 15 April, and riders who need to enter can click here. Late entries will be accepted on Friday at registration.
Afriski Mountain Resort Manager, Stephan Smit, has addressed some concerns from some riders regarding altitude sickness. “We are aware of altitude sickness. However, it is not a prevalent issue as we seldom see people suffer from it. The major symptom is headaches, and the majority of those people took headache tablets and they were fine by the next day.”
Smit recommended that riders arrive a day earlier to acclimatize to the conditions in Lesotho.
It is also recommended that participants, and families and supporters, bring the following:
- Riding clothes – clothing that can be worn in mild to very cold weather
- General clothing – include sweaters and jackets, dress for a cold winters day. Thermal underwear will help a lot.
- Sunblock – a must
- Gloves – a must
- Altitude sickness – isolated cases, bring along headache tablets, drink lots of water.
- from Fouriesburg, allow for 2 hours of traveling due to trucks on the road. Average travel time is 1 hour
- from Oxbow Lodge, allow for 30 minutes traveling
Smit also confirmed that the renovations at Backpackers were complete, and that a further 50 beds had been made available, at R100 per person per night.
A valid passport is required to gain entry into Lesotho. Emergency passports can be attained in Bethlehem or at any Home Affairs office.
Download the Afriski MTB Cup Series Communiqué – 19-20 April 2014, which contains helpful info ahead of your trip regarding access into Lesotho, basic information and what to bring.
For directions to Afriski, please visit the following web links:
View more information such as route maps and profiles, on our dedicated web page.
Source: Cycling South Africa