South Africa is a world leader in terms of mountain bike races. A packed calendar from January until December takes advantage of our generally great year-round weather and includes hundreds of mountain bike events designed to challenge and reward participants.
From Fun Rides to Ultra-Marathons, from short stage races to long stage races to Ultra-endurance races, we’ve got the lot. How fortunate we are!
TREAD has partnered up with Garmin to find out more about your MTB race preferences. What do you wear, ride and like? What don’t you like about events? Which are your favourite events? And much more! The survey focusses on the most popular form of MTB racing in South Africa through four main categories: General, Bike and Gear, One-day MTB Races and Stage Races/Ultra-endurance Races.
All respondents that give their email address at the end of the survey will go into a draw to win one of two newly launched Garmin Edge 530 bundles, worth R7499 each, which are heavily focussed on mountain bike performance measurement. What’s so special about the Garmin Edge 530? Well, in addition to a whole lot of new features over its predecessor, the Edge 520, it’s recently been launched and is creating a stir.
Some of the new features include:
- Increased battery life (from 15 hours to 20 hours)
- Increased screen size (by 13%)
- Significantly increased processor speed
- New WiFi connect option
- New ClimbPro – shows how much distance/elevation remains for each climb
- New MTB metrics – shows Grit, Flow and Jump data.
- New Trailforks maps already loaded to unit
- New ForkSight – shows MTB trail options ahead when you pause at a fork
- New Heat Acclimation – considers heat/humidity for performance/recovery metrics
- New Altitude Acclimation – considers altitude for performance/recovery metrics
- New Hydration/Nutrition Tracking – allows you to record food/drink consumption data
- New Hydration/Nutrition Alerts – recommends how many calories/water are/is required for preloaded route/ride
- New Bike Alarm – a theft deterrent that alerts you on your phone too.
“I think there’s a strong case to be made that the Edge 530 is Garmin’s best bike computer ever. Realistically – for $299 (R5999 in SA) – there’s nothing even close to this on the market. Even competitors $100 more can’t match these features.” – DC Rainmaker.